Heart and Soul

Monday, July 18, 2005

WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY STAY IN ONE PLACE ANYMORE?

heartandsoul

I just received the weirdest phone call. Some girl called and asked for (my husband's name.) I asked who it was, a tad bit of anger portraying in my voice, because we receive so many tele-marketer calls. She kinda went oh, ah , hm and told me her name. She spoke so quietly, I could hardly hear her, and thought she said some name of a bank. I was ready to give her a ear-full and rudely hang up on her.

So, I asked her what this was all about. She said she was looking for her dad. I still wasn't about to give out any info. about my husband's age, occupation, etc. I asked her what state she lived in, thinking it might be Alaska or Oklahoma. She said Northern GA., and she thinks her dad might be in S. GA. My brain started turning round and round, trying to figure out who in our family might be a long-lost father. Thinking maybe one of my sons, out of wedlock or another in his escapation away from his wife. So I told her there were 3 people, in this family, that I knew of and one in his late 50's, the other two in their late 30's. Her voice raised a pitch and ecststatically, proclaimed, "My dad is in his late 30's."

Thinking of my two sons, I asked her if he was in the army and she said, no, I don't think so. Are you sure he lives in GA? And she said, not really. I told her about one of my son's living in FL. and that there were a lot of ( ) down there, because I was curious and looked it up on the internet last year. And doing some geneology on myself and hubby, told her, "You know their are a lot of ( ) around. "Do you know anyone you could get some more info. from to help you track him." And she said no. "You, know with a last name like that - its not going to be easy. Not like my German, original family name. If you run across one of the D.s you will definitely know they are related. Do you have access to the internet? And she said yes.

So, after calling her "Sweetie" a few times, I told her if I can think of any way that she could be related, I would definitely get back with her.

After hanging up, hubby asked who that was and what it was all about. I told him and were trying to figure it out. Of course, my mind filling in the blanks to the questions he asked. Probably, born out of wedlock or another dead-beat father. Boy, talking about a wide range of emotions coming out. in such a brief time frame between two people, who don't even know each other - ranging from anger to hope, to a let down and back again.

I told hubby how this poor thing was feeling. Last year, I got on the internet, found out every phone number and variations of name changes of my twin sister. I let down my guard one night and called a no. in WA., just knowing and feeling in my heart that this was going to be her. I even sounded defeated and hopeful at the same time. Wanting, not to talk to my sister, yet needing to know that she's okay and has some kind of family around her like I still do. Only, to have a man answer and say " She is not here and hasn't been for a long time and who the hell are you?" I told him sorry, I am just looking for my twin, who has that exact name and lived in WA.last I knew, and told him her age. He said" she is only l6 and she hasn't been home in a long time." He probably thought I was some drug dealer or something. OMG.

I couldn't help but think of this poor soul , on the phone, and how I could help her. (always picking up strays when I can.) Hubby asked what her first name is. I said I don't know. I wanted to get some more info. in order to try and help her. But, I was worried, at the same time, about getting her in trouble, or something. Probably, her mother and step-father went shopping and will be back real soon and left her alone in her thoughts of finding her real 'dad.' Hubby says, "Call her back and ask her." I did and got some more info. out of her, where was she when she was born and where, when she last saw her dad. She told me she saw him last, when she was 3 and talked to him when she was 7. If I can find out anything or help her out I will definitely be calling her back.


So! What is it with families these days. "Doesn't anybody stay in one place anymore. I would be so glad to see your face at my door. But, your so far away," Poor sweetie, I wish I didn't feel your hopelessness and helplessness!

4 Comments:

At 11:27 PM, Blogger stardust said...

Thanks for visiting Jason. I lived in Oklahoma for awhile. Maybe someday I will share my Okie life. I have no inclination whatsoever about even passing thru there again. Except the lakes and 'mtn' areas are kinda pretty. I love Northern California though. Wish I could live there or pts of Oregon and pts of Wash., esp. the San Juan Islands. I can become a island girl. No problem.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger emeralda said...

wow, thats tough. there is so much bullshit going on in families i know. and it s most of the time so fucked up. i figure i am one of the rare species who grew up in a realatively happy household with parents still together since the very first day, with a dad who fell in love with two other women but stayed strong and never betrayed my mom (i believe him)....
you are so wonderful, stardust, that you bother about this girl. it s truly an adventure to go and find out about ones real relatives. the ex of my sis went all the way to the caribbeans to find his dad and was so sadly disappointed when he found his dad embarrassed by his half white son.
thats really sad but reality and i guess pain that is caused by reality is less bad than pain that is caused by not knowing but wanting to know.

love
p

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger stardust said...

There is so much hostility in families, so much un-acceptance. So much conditional love. Back-stabbing, stealing, taking advantage of people monetary-wise and preying on the emotionally-weak ones who love every one and just want everyone to get along.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger introspectre said...

You never know...there may be a very good reason they were separated, one she is not aware of.

Did you ever find out?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home